Whey Better Blog
What Is Beet Root?
Beet root, as its name might imply, is the root portion of the commonly known beet plant. Beet plants produce the often consumed vegetable known simply as beets. This vegetable can be found at stores prepared in a variety of ways.
How is Beet Root the Healthiest Pre-Workout Supplement?
Pre-workout supplements are the go-to method to maximize effort during a workout. A quick google search of pre-workout supplements will produce a vast array of products to choose from. The majority of these supplements are comprised of ingredients which may not be natural, banned from sports and dangerous. Therefore, choosing the healthiest pre-workout supplement can be a challenging task.
Beets and other beetroot byproducts possess numerous health benefits and natural energy. Though these attributes are important to everyone’s health, they are of particular significance to athletes who often demand a lot from their bodies.
What Makes Beet Root Such a Healthy Pre-Workout Supplement?
- Stamina Building and Blood Pressure Regulation- Beets contain high quantities of nitrates, which the body synthesizes into nitric oxide (also referred to as supplemental oxygen) which promotes blood vessel relaxation and dilation. The final result of this process could be improved circulation and lower blood pressure.
- Liver Detoxification- Scientific studies have proven that beets contain a key amino acid known as betaine, which helps control the liver’s fat content. Improved liver function equals fewer toxins circulating through the bloodstream, limiting acute manifestations such as incidents of sluggishness and fatigue.
- Boost Energy Levels- Beets are rife with the important nutritional compounds known as carbohydrates. Carbohydrates aid the body in metabolizing energy, which is critical to athletes such as bodybuilders who expend significant quantities of energy.
- Beet Root Is Rife with Inflammation Fighting Substances- Beets contain antioxidants such as resveratrol, betalain, and quercetin. Antioxidants fight inflammation that may accumulate in the body that often results in pain, injury and, when it impacts internal cells, tissues and organs, could manifest is serious, life-threatening illnesses.
- Beets Contain Only Natural Ingredients- Beets and beet root byproducts do not contain artificial products such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners or banned substances.
Maximize the benefits of Beet Root Pre-Workout
The proper amount of beets or beet root supplements an athlete should consume prior to commencing a workout depends upon several different factors, including his or her weight, their overall health, the type of exercise(s) to be executed, their level of strenuousness and the athlete's general workout goals.
Regardless of the established amount, the method of consumption also plays a critical role in the body's ability to properly absorb the nutrients and help a maximize your workout. If beets are to be consumed as part of a full meal in advance of exercise, an athlete should wait at least several hours before working out for the purpose of allowing his or her body to go through the proper digestion process. However, if the athlete plans on consuming supplements like beet root powder such action can be taken as little as a 15-30 minutes prior to commencing a workout.
Here are 2 of our favorite options for consuming beet root prior to exercise:
CAN’T BEET ME SMOOTHIE from Shalane Flanagan, winner of the 2017 NYC marathon and author of the best selling book Run Fast, Eat Slow.
- ½ cooked beet, peeled and quartered.
- ½ cup frozen blueberries.
- ½ small frozen banana.
- 4oz. unsweetened almond milk.
- 4oz. coconut water.
- ½ inch fresh knob of ginger.
- ½ tablespoon of almond butter.
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix on high speed until smooth. This smoothie can be consumed 30-90 minutes before exercise.
NUTROLOGY’S BEET NATURAL PRE-WORKOUT DRINK
This all natural pre-workout contains beet root powder, vitamin C, and yerba mate to boost endurance and focus during exercise. Since this product is already premixed into a fine powder you will feel the effects in about 5 minutes...great if you're in a hurry. In addition, the Vitamin C really helps mask the taste of the beets, making it much easier to consume than beet juice.
Mix 1-2 scoops in 18oz. water and consume 15-30 minutes before exercise.
To learn more about beet root and exercise performance download our free ebook.
For anyone in the business of fitness with the goal of achieving a lean and muscle frame for the long haul, it is important to understand just how much branched-chain amino acids or BCAA’s can do for the body. BCAA’s such as; leucine, isoleucine and valine, are essential to muscle maintenance; however, the body is unable to naturally manufacture [...]
Magnesium and an Athlete’s Performance and Recovery Process are Two Sides of the Same CoinMagnesium’s roles in the human body are nothing but remarkable. It is credited with synthesis of protein, fat and nucleic acids; as well as boosting neurological activity, energy production and bone metabolism. However, dietary intake of this mineral has been gradually declining over the years; which [...]
Want to cheat father time? A high-quality protein powder could be the solution, but not all are made the same. Protein plays a unique role in healthy skin, aging, organ function, muscle growth and more. The thing is, most people don’t give their bodies sufficient amounts of quality protein. One of the world’s leading sources of protein is whey protein. [...]
In 2005, the best-selling book The China Study spearheaded a movement against consumption of animal protein and dairy products. Recently, Netflix documentaries like “What the Health” and “Forks over Knives” have taken the message mainstream and fueled a plant revolution. While the China Study is often quoted as “The biggest study ever done in human nutrition” it is [...]
In today’s on-the-go lifestyle that includes fast-food runs and high stress in the workplace, Americans are feeling the effects of magnesium deficiency.Anxiety, hypertension, adrenal fatigue, poor sleep and muscle cramping can all be signs that you may be deficient in magnesium.According to the Office of Dietary Supplements, magnesium is responsible for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body.This includes [...]
Protein. We all need it. Not just bodybuilders, but every one of us requires protein to live. Proteins are the building blocks of life and every cell in your body contains protein. The basic structure of protein is a chain of amino acids (see more about branch chain amino acids on Nutrology’s BCAA Natural page). You need protein in [...]
How Do I know How Many Calories I Need to Lose Weight? To Gain Weight? Or to Build Muscle While Losing Fat?A lot goes into losing or gaining weight: caloric intake, caloric burn, timing of meals, stress level, composition of food, fitness, genetics, and more. Throw in your age and any health concerns, and defining the right number of calories [...]
Eating healthy is just as important for children as it is adults. However, getting kids to eat healthy can be a real challenge, especially in light of all the advertising for sugary drinks and snacks. Today, parents find themselves struggling to find something that is healthy, fun, tasty and easy to make. At Nutrology, we frequently receive questions from customers [...]
I remember my first competition. I knew no one would out work harder than me in the gym (probably not a unique thought among competitors, but nonetheless I believed it!). I felt I had the physique that, if I slept and worked out correctly, had a chance to be successful. And I thought I knew what and how to eat [...]