Beet root, as its name might imply, is the root portion of the commonly known beet plant. Beet plants produce the often consumed vegetable known simply as beets. This vegetable can be found at stores prepared in a variety of ways.
What Is Beet Root?
How Is Beet Root The Healthiest Pre Workout Supplement?
Pre workout supplements are the go-to method to maximize effort during a workout. A quick google search of pre workout supplements will produce a vast array of products to choose from. The majority of these supplements are comprised of ingredients which may not be natural, banned from sports and dangerous. Therefore, choosing the healthiest pre workout supplement can be a challenging task.
Beets and other beetroot byproducts possess numerous health benefits and support natural energy. Though these attributes are important to everyone’s health, they are of particular significance to athletes who often demand a lot from their bodies.
What Makes Beet Root Such A Healthy Pre Workout Option?
Stamina Building and Blood Pressure Regulation- Beets contain high quantities of nitrates, which the body synthesizes into nitric oxide (also referred to as supplemental oxygen) which promotes blood vessel relaxation and dilation. The final result of this process could be improved circulation and lower blood pressure.
- Liver Detoxification- Scientific studies have proven that beets contain a key amino acid known as betaine, which helps control the liver’s fat content. Improved liver function equals fewer toxins circulating through the bloodstream, limiting acute manifestations such as incidents of sluggishness and fatigue.
- Boost Energy Levels- Beets are rife with the important nutritional compounds known as carbohydrates. Carbohydrates aid the body in metabolizing energy, which is critical to athletes such as bodybuilders who expend significant quantities of energy.
- Beet Root Is Rife with Inflammation Fighting Substances- Beets contain antioxidants such as resveratrol, betalain, and quercetin. Antioxidants fight inflammation that may accumulate in the body that often results in pain, injury and, when it impacts internal cells, tissues and organs, could manifest is serious, life-threatening illnesses.
- Beets Contain Only Natural Ingredients- Beets and beet root byproducts do not contain artificial products such as artificial colors, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners or banned substances.
Maximize The Benefits of Beet Root Pre Workout
The proper amount of beets or beet root supplements an athlete should consume prior to commencing a workout depends upon several different factors, including his or her weight, their overall health, the type of exercise(s) to be executed, their level of strenuousness and the athlete's general workout goals.
Regardless of the established amount, the method of consumption also plays a critical role in the body's ability to properly absorb the nutrients and help a maximize your workout. If beets are to be consumed as part of a full meal in advance of exercise, an athlete should wait at least several hours before working out for the purpose of allowing his or her body to go through the proper digestion process. However, if the athlete plans on consuming supplements like beet root powder such action can be taken as little as a 15-30 minutes prior to commencing a workout.
Here are 2 of our favorite options for consuming beetroot prior to exercise:
CAN’T BEET ME SMOOTHIE from Shalane Flanagan, winner of the 2017 NYC marathon and author of the best selling book Run Fast, Eat Slow.
- ½ cooked beet, peeled and quartered.
- ½ cup frozen blueberries.
- ½ small frozen banana.
- 4oz. unsweetened almond milk.
- 4oz. coconut water.
- ½ inch fresh knob of ginger.
- ½ tablespoon of almond butter.
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix on high speed until smooth. This smoothie can be consumed 30-90 minutes before exercise.
Nutrology's Beet Root Pre Workout Drinks
Nutrology's all natural pre workout drinks contain Beetroot powder, Vitamin C, and Yerba Mate to boost endurance and focus during exercise. Since this product is already premixed into a fine powder you will feel the effects in about 5 minutes...great if you're in a hurry. In addition, the Vitamin C really helps mask the taste of the beets, making it much easier to consume than beet juice.
Mix 1-2 scoops in 18oz. water and consume 15-30 minutes before exercise.
Joanne Tull, former Fitness America, Fitness Canada and Fitness Universe finalist. Joanne is a Co-Founder of Nutrology, the naturally based sports nutrition company that has innovated clean label nutritional products used by thousands of athletes, including elites in the NFL, MLB, NHL and Professional Boxing. Having appeared on ESPN, Fox Sports and TSN after finishing a storied athletic career as a state champion, collegiate and national level gymnast. Joanne’s common sense approach to nutrition will educate and motivate people on how to live a healthy lifestyle while balancing career, kids and fitness goals.